A little history: "The name may derive from the Latin finis scholae (court border) or finis colle (at the foot of the hill) or from Greek Sin (Moon God) and Schole (rest), from which Siniscola (the Moon God's rest).
The first evidence that attests to the occupation of the territory of Siniscola dates back to the Mesolithic and Neolithic. In fact, at about three kilometers from the town it is possible to visit the Domus de 'Janas Cuccuru' e Janas, on the road between Siniscola and La Caletta.
They are pre-nuragic tombs carved in the rocks on a shale hill. Popular imagination, as in much of Sardinia, had attributed an imaginary origin to the domuses, as unreal places populated by fairies or Janas.
Before archaeologists discovered the function of these sites, they were believed to be inhabited by tiny beings, just like fairies and goblins, because the excavations in the rock were so inaccessible that they seemed to be destined as a home for fantastic creatures. According to legend, Janas were good-looking fairies that could be kind or spiteful depending on the events and the people they took interest in. Some believed they also lived in the Nuragic stone houses and castle ruins.
Microliths dating from the ancient-middle Neolithic period (6000 BC) and collected in the past among the dunes of Cape Comino, have been found in the territory of Siniscola and you can find clear traces of human presence dating back to the Neolithic period outside the Elne Portiche cave located on the western slopes of Monte Lattu where in the surrounding soil, fragments of decorated vases have been found (second half of 5000 BC).
About 46 Nuragic sites belonging to the Bronze Age have been surveyed in the territory of Siniscola consisting of 5 caves of archaeological importance, 32 nuraghi, 4 Tombs of Giants and 4 Nuragic villages including the Village of Rempellos (located near the beach of Bèrchida ), all evoking the grandeur of the Nuragic civilisation.
In the following period, Roman rule left eloquent traces especially in the valley of Bérchida, where rural settlements are located in the areas of Paule e Luca and Sas Domos Ruttas and a late imperial settlement with adjoining necropolis near the seventeenth-century tower of St. Lucia; also Lugudonis Portus, an important stop along the route that led from the ancient Caralis (Cagliari) to Olbia (Terronova) and the Roman road located in Capo Comino were in this area.
The birth of the village of Siniscola dates back to the early Middle Ages when the territory was part of the Giudicato of Gallura until 1323, when the Judicial period following the conquest of the Aragonese ended. Subsequently, as almost all of Sardinia, Siniscola came under the rule of the Spanish monarchy amid raids by Saracens and Berber pirates. These raids made it necessary to build hexagonal walls to defend the village and the construction of coastal watch and defense towers between the 16th and 17th century, such as those of San Giovanni and Santa Lucia.
In the late 1600s, Siniscola grew demographically and economically taking shape as a major crossroads between the coasts of the peninsula due to the presence of the two ports (San Giovanni and Santa Lucia).
The historical descriptions of the nineteenth century (Angius) talk about a town with a growing population and a development based essentially on farming, crafts, breeding and trade.
During the twentieth century, Siniscola acquired a role of economic importance in the Barony area.
The unification of Italy witnesses the transition from the Savoy to the Italian government. The First World War (1915 -1918) represented the first major trip to the "Continent" for the Sardinians. A plaque in the church of San Giovanni Battista (patron of Siniscola) recalls the 74 Siniscolese victims of this conflict.
In this period, Luigi Oggiano, an illustrious person of Siniscola born in 1892, gains notoriety as one of the founders of the Sardinian Action Party together with E. Lussier.
During World War II Siniscola faces a difficult period of social and economic crisis.
In the first post-war period there was a mass emigration of people from Siniscola to Germany to be employed as miners and labourers.
In this period we witness a relentless building development, the establishment of the first factories and the first interventions in the tourism sector in the area of La Caletta.
In the following years and up to today, Siniscola assumed a dominant role due to the presence of administrative and commercial activities and as a centre of major tourist importance